CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Office 365 crashes on saving files.

Hi all.
Upgraded to crossover 18.5 and installed latest office 365 (Version 1902 Build 11328.20158) Excel and word work well, I have not experienced any unlicensed products issues so far as I did with 18.0 (and previous version of 365)

One issue that does appear consistently is crashes upon document saving either right after opening new document and trying to save it, or after a document has been opened for a while. This only occurs when you use the menus to "save as", it work about 50% of the time, but if saved document is already opened saving with Ctrl+S works 100% of the time so far.

Any ideas on why this occurs?

This is on Ubuntu 18.04. I am saving and keeping all my documents in a separate partition that is not same partition cross-over installs office in and Linux is installed on so maybe something to do with permissions? No idea.

EDIT: I am now 100% convinced it is contniuation of same issue as described in this thread
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=26;msg=213309

Basically after period of time word and excel will think they are an unlicensed product, at which point you wont be able to save the document, in earlier version it would actually throw up an error explicitly stating so, now it just crashes.

This is rather irritating issue that needs to be really solved, as this requires you to save the document almost every min or risking loosing all work (no recovery data is saved either)

It may be relating to the file system in use on the partition for documents.

At least OneDrive does not support anything but NTFS. It is only an idea but if possible create a partition formatted with NTFS and verify if the issue persist.

Funny enough, the partition with the data is already on the NTFS partition as it was used with a windows install (I am dual booting although haven't booted windows since finishing setting up Ubuntu in January).

Another note on save error, it will happen when exiting a file if the document prompts you to save it and you agree it will once again crash.

This seems to generally happen after a period of time of the document being open. Not sure if its related to the PC going to sleep.

There is no error report, just says word/excel experienced an error. Would you like to repair the installation. I wounder if its not really related to saving but something else, almost seems similar to the unlicensed product error issue I had before (once you get unlicensed product error, you can't save the document, but it does not totally crash)

EDIT: I am now 100% convinced it is contniuation of same issue as described in this thread
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/forums/general/?t=26;msg=213309

Basically after period of time word and excel will think they are an unlicensed product, at which point you wont be able to save the document, in earlier version it would actually throw up an error explicitly stating so, now it just crashes.

This is rather irritating issue that needs to be really solved, as this requires you to save the document almost every min or risking loosing all work (no recovery data is saved either)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieGNkR2NTZkNlNXdRbnhtWCIsImdkcHIiOjB9