CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

GTA 5 high FPS but 10 second freezing

I'm running Crossover 23 w/ Sonoma and the game starts to run smoothly but periodically the game comes to a complete halt and freezes for 5-10 seconds at a time about every 30 seconds. DXVK and ESync are on and I've tried turning them off to no avail.

I am having this exact same issue on a brand new M3 Pro 14" Macbook Pro (12C/18GB RAM) running the latest Sonoma.
I have tried Crossover 22, 23.7.1 and 24, all with a Windows 10 bottle. I've also tried all combinations of Esync/Msync, D3D/DXVK, DX10/DX10.1/DX11, 60Hz/120Hz refresh, and the lowest possible in-game display and advanced display settings.
I also have both a Steam and Epic account and have even tried using Heroic launcher in tandem with the Epic version of GTA 5. In all cases, I've tried launching the Rockstar launcher first followed by Steam/Epic/Heroic and finally GTA 5.
Crossover was the very first bit of software I installed on the M3 Pro MBP and I have no antivirus running. I've noticed that the Rockstar logo stutters prior to loading and I get the notice about activation taking longer than usual 100% of the time. And I've also tried on my home wifi, mobile hotspot, work wifi (don't tell my employer 😉) and direct-cabled connection to my home router.
It's been about a month of playing with all of the available settings, reinstalling absolutely everything from scratch, reading every forum post about GTA 5 here on Codeweavers and elsewhere in the Wine-o-sphere, watching YouTube videos about suggested settings. So far, I consistently get the same results: the game loads (after a mini eternity) and stutters every 10-45 seconds for about 10-30 seconds. I've tried playing the same area of the map for well over an hour hoping that shaders finish generating or maps finish loading or whatever else might be happening under the hood. No love.
Maybe some of these steps I've tried will help others, and hopefully someone else knows the magic permutation of settings to get this to properly run on my new beastie (and others in my position).

Thanks

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiSkhwdlA1SkdoTFFiaGdYVyIsImdkcHIiOjB9