CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Enshrouded not launching - Steam on Ubuntu

Hello,

I am running Steam through CrossOver on Ubuntu 22.04 - I recently purchased Enshrouded excited to play. However, when I go to my Steam library and press play, it goes through the "Launching - Syncing to Cloud" messages before eventually giving me a typical game running screen. However, I never see any sort of launch and the game never opens. When I close game, it updates my Steam play time.

Does Enshrouded not work via CrossOver? Or is there something simple I am missing.

-Tovin

If it makes any difference, the CrossOver Task Manager claims "enshrouded.exe" is running, but I still don't see anything. I've included some images...

imageimage

If it does not work, there might be a proven way around this for your issue. My wife is playing on Steam and uses a mix of games either straight through Steam (via Proton) or using CrossOver. For Ubisoft and Blizzard related games she uses CrossOver. For everything else she uses Steam. I installed it on her PC according to instructions and it works fine. Her Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu 22.04 which is what you use. Since I should not use HTML code her I send you (a) the reference link and (b) the steps as plain text here.

The reference URL is: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-install-proton-steam-play-linux

The step by step instructions you find there are as follows:

[ How to install Proton (Steam Play) on Linux ]
To get Steam running on Ubuntu with Proton is an incredibly easy process.
You can install Steam through the Ubuntu Software store app, but I always recommend using the Terminal
where possible in order to learn more about Linux.

One last thing: DON'T use the Flatpak version of Steam else you may encounter some problems. Let's prepare our system and install Steam, which will handle all things Proton.

• To begin, we need to make sure the Ubuntu multiverse repository is enabled:
    sudo add-apt-repository multiverse

• Next, we need to update the repositories:
    sudo apt-get update

• Finally, we can install Steam:
    sudo apt install steam

• Open Steam:
    steam

• Enter your Linux user password into the Terminal window.

Steam Play uses Proton so all you need to do with Steam installed is to click install on any game
and the client will download all the necessary files. You may need to clear the filter on your library,
which may be excluding all games that don't support Linux natively. Even with the best graphics
card, you will need to ensure Ubuntu is using the latest available drivers.

[ What games work with Proton on Linux? ]
You can check to see what games work with Steam Play and Proton by using the website ProtonDB.
URL: https://www.protondb.com/
Not only will this handy platform inform you as to which games will work on Linux, but it'll also
provide additional details on how well each game works, as well as any additional steps one needs
to take to get everything working.
end of copy

Hope that helps you :)
Hans

I sign below everything Hans said. I also use SteamPlay (Proton) for most Steam games (Rocksmith 2014 is an exception, it used to work only with Crossover, need to check that again). My daughter uses Crossover (or PlayOnLinux) to run TheSims 4. Sometimes I use Lutris for recent or difficult to run games.

It is worth noting that the Crossover team is behind the development of Proton and wine itself (which is used in Lutris and PlayOnLinx)!

Great job, guys!

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiMmhXWmNBTHRLRkdieGFBRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9