CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Linux
Discussion about CrossOver Linux

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Is there a way to have both crossover 7 and 8 installed?

Hi I was just wondering, Is there a way to have both crossover 7 and 8 installed? And use different versions of crossover for different applications, as crossover 8 is incompatible with some of my programs that worked fine under crossover 7.

Ouch...did you report this to the codeweavers crew? (they like to know
about 'regressions' of this type...ie; worked in CO-7 but not in CO-8)

To answer you question, it is possible but there are all sorts of
caveats and gotchas involved...hmm, someone asked the same question
recently....in the advocates only forum I think...

Ken Thomases Posted:

Two different versions of CrossOver can coexist on a computer, but there are caveats. You should never run both at the same time. The two will be using the same bottles -- you can't have one set of bottles for one version and a different set for the other. Each time you switch from one version to another, CrossOver will update your bottles. In most cases, this shouldn't interfere with the ability of the bottle to be used in the other version, but it's possible. So, if you have important stuff in your bottles, you should make sure they are backed up.

That was Ken's response to what was a Mac specific question, about exactly the same thing ;
the linux situation is pretty much the same..ie; both versions would try to use the same
bottles, and as Ken points out, you'd want to make sure you kept your bottles backed-up
(archived) just in case anything goes wrong, and it definitely would be possible that one
version may end up interfering with another -- and all it would take, is one wrong click...

SO... although it's possible, it's probably ill-advised unless you really know what
you are doing (I did try this here once, in experiment, in a virtual_machine installed
with Debian4 ..it wasn't exactly 'trivial' to setup)...

Cheers!

Its not a major issue, it was just with a game and not important, would much rather have more important applications work and lose support for a game. Was one of my favourites though, warcraft 3, and I had some issues setting it up with cx-games, so i set it up with cx-standard 7, in a win-xp bottle and everything worked flawlessly even battle.net. Now since I have upgraded to 8 warcraft 3 battle.net does not work. Thanks for the great work with crossover. Ant.

Anthony Vigh wrote:

Its not a major issue, it was just with a game and not important,
would much rather have more important applications work and lose
support for a game. Was one of my favourites though, warcraft 3, and
I had some issues setting it up with cx-games, so i set it up with
cx-standard 7, in a win-xp bottle and everything worked flawlessly
even battle.net. Now since I have upgraded to 8 warcraft 3
battle.net does not work. Thanks for the great work with crossover.
Ant.

Well...in that case, have you considered installing one of the Wine releases,
and try using that to run Warcraft 3, and use crossover for your other needs?
It gets a platinum rating using some versions of Wine, according to WineHQ..;

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=897

Having crossover and Wine installed at the same time is not a problem,
and the two environments remain mutually exclusive and won't interfere
which each other - this might be a good option here.

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip I have warcraft3 working through battle.net now on wine.

As an fyi, it is possible to run multiple versions of Crossover on the same machine, it just requires a mildly tricky installation. Please see the following link for more information:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/cxofficemultiplecopies

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiQzRSZ1BKOVZWbTZHVkxnbSIsImdkcHIiOjB9