CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

OS X 10.5.8 and Crossover 12

Is there any possibility that Crossover 12 will run on Mac OS X 10.5.8?

The main reason I ask is because in order for me to use the Server Admin Tools to administer
my Xserve (Mac OS X Server 10.4.11) and to run some other Applications such as Photoshop, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver
that I have paid a lot of money for licenses,
I can only go as high as OS X 10.5.8
BUT in order to play DDO:EU on Crossover I must use Crossover 12 (Due to an Update from Turbine that broke Crossover compatibility in Crossover 11).

This is very important
Please advise

You don't need to be on 10.5 just to administer a 10.4/10.5 machine. I was administering OS X servers running Tiger and Leopard while my own machine was on Snow Leopard.

In many cases you'll find Snow Leopard running software more reliably and better than Leopard. I had old Adobe stuff eg. Photoshop back to version 7 run quite well in Snow Leopard.

So if I understand you correctly OS X Server Admin Tools 10.6 will still administer OS X Server 10.4.11?

According to Apple it can't
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1822?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

The main concern I have is the Server Monitor application so that I may use the ability to Power ON and OFF the server from an outside location.
I know there are Terminal commands that can do this, but I have discovered that when the server freezes
I am unable to remote desktop into it, and Terminal doesn't always connect because the Network connection is
also frozen, (I cant remember the name they give it, but it has to do with a separate IP address that is assigned to the xserve so that even when the power is turned off on the xserve, you are able to use the Server Monitor application to connect to it and power it back on and OFF)
so by using the remote ON/OFF I am able to get the server up and running again in minutes.

So this really comes down to using Crossover on OS X 10.5.8 and then I am able to continue using all of my current applications without spending a fortune to upgrade.

All I want to know is if it will work on 10.5.8 or if it is absolutely not possible.

We have not tested on 10.5.x for this release, and actually I don't know whether it will work. I believe that there is no chance the mac driver will work, but that other things stand a chance of running. That could break in a dot release if we begin using things which require the 10.6 sdk, but my current understanding is that other than the mac driver you may still be able to get things working with 10.5.

However, I am not at all certain. I may be completely wrong - it may crash or fail to launch.

You can download a trial version from the web-site to try it out.

(My belief above is based on these things: 1.) we link against the 10.6 sdk, but with a deployment target of 10.5; 2.) I think the mac driver definitley relies on things absent in 10.5, and will probably just crash when those things are missing; 3.) I don't think we rely on 10.6 in code outside the mac driver, but I am not sure of that.)

Sorry - turns out I was wrong. We've got our deployment target set to 10.6, so I think you're out of luck.

Eveline wrote:

You don't need to be on 10.5 just to administer a 10.4/10.5 machine.
I was administering OS X servers running Tiger and Leopard while my
own machine was on Snow Leopard.

In many cases you'll find Snow Leopard running software more
reliably and better than Leopard. I had old Adobe stuff eg.
Photoshop back to version 7 run quite well in Snow Leopard.

OK so I gave it a shot in OS X 10.6 and OS X Server Admin Tools does work even tho Apple says it can not.

Now as long as Turbine doesnt do another Update to break Crossover I think Im ok.

Thank you both for your fast responses. This really helped me work this issue out before things got messy with software upgrades.

Sorry about the pause :)

What I did re Server Admin for Servers running Tiger OS X 10.4.n on a machine running Snow Leopard:
1) run Server Admin 10.5 and 10.6 that mostly works but not always
2) copy the directory called "Server" in "Applications" from the server to my client. It contains the 10.4 versions of all the admin programs. They mostly work as well.

For both the emphasis is on "mostly".

As for the power mngmt, I spent the money for an intelligent power strip which is far more reliable than any software product can be and I can cycle the power even when the server is totally stalled. Having said that I also have to say that in rarely ever had to cycle an XServe. They really are extremely reliable machines in my experience.

I tend to not believe Apple as far as information re compatibility is concerned until my own experience confirms it. Apple wants to sell new software. It is not in their interest to keep you on an aged OS like Tiger :)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiaFg4VXhlOG54WUhFM3hZYyIsImdkcHIiOjB9