CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Copying applications

Right now, I don't want to install applications - I want to copy them over from my Parallels partition - with their current settings. Hopefully, I will eventually get all of my applications out of Parallels.

I copied over some directories - and some of them I can run by clicking on the .exe, but others I can't get to run.

As a test, I copied mshearts over (since anybody with Windows has that), and it wouldn't run.

Also - when I don't install, it doesn't create an application that I see on the right click button of Crossover. Is there a way to get it there? I takes me a while to drill down to where applications are within Crossover.

There is a possibility to directly copy applications without installing. You have the ensure that you copy ALL files (also hidden ones) and those who are in different folders. As an example you might have noticed that some Applications store Data in your Documents and Settings folder. Some need additional librarys which are in the System32 folder. Its quite difficult to find out where all the data is stored. Even this way doesn't work everytime. Applications have Data stored in the Registry (often the settings) and there's no way to copy n paste the registry from one system to another without some effort. You could imagine isntalling an application is like building up an electrical toy-racetrack. If you only pick the car and take it anywhere else, it won't drive.
To your 2nd question: Maybe there's a way, but i don't know how. :)

Maximilian answered your first question quite well.

For your second, if your applications are stored in the location CrossOver expects them, you can go to CrossOver, 'Configure' and choose 'Clear and Rebuild Programs Menu' and CrossOver will create menu items for each application. If they are not where CrossOver expects them you can go to CrossOver, 'Programs' and choose 'Run Command...' which will allow you to specify the CrossOver bottle to use and the location of the executable file you want to run. If you choose it correctly you can also save the command to the CrossOver 'Programs' menu.

Thanks.

What do I do when an application I copy accross has registry entries?

Sadly, you will need to copy over the applicable registry entries one-by-one into the bottle via running "regedit" in Crossover's Run Command utility.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiNVpWZXMyWmhHRzN4U1VtaCIsImdkcHIiOjB9