CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover Mac 8.00 Professional...

Hi all,

I downloaded my COMac 8.00 Professional and installed it the other day. I had launched something today that was in Cross Over Games and a weird thing happened - Cross Over Games launched (with the appropriate control pane) but in the version it said 8.0 (under about) - but if I launch Cross Over Games manually from my applications, I get Cross Over Games 7.2.0 (my current version of Cross Over Games). Should I be using my Cross Over Pro instead of the separate Cross Over games?

To be honest, I don't even know how to get back to that COG8 display - I had gotten there because I clicked the link on the steam website to start downloading/installing a game...

This seems like a very strange behaviour indeed. We will do our best to reproduce it in-house.

CrossOver Games should be used for games, CrossOver should be used for office products. There are things in the office version that are not kind to games and things in the games version that are not kind to office applications. This is why they are a separate install.

That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if somehow you all had bundled Cross Over Games into the same bundle as Cross Over hence the name for Cross Over Professional - 'cause you've got the Cross Over Standard, Cross Over Professional and Cross Over Games - I had been using the games product separate since I first tried it, but then I when this last thing happened, I wondered if pro now included both games binaries and office binaries in one bundle.

The first time I experienced this was when I click on a link in Safari from Steams website to install a game - steam had been installed in a CO Game created bottle (7.2.0), and it launched what looked like Cross Over Games, except it wasn't and it had a release number in the about of 8.0.0.

I exited the launched app, manually launched CO Games, and my bottles showed up there as normal.
Exited Cross over Games
Double clicked on the icon created for steam
It launched the 8.0.0 claiming to be Cross Over Games
Exited the app
Launched my Cross Over Pro 8.0.0 and confirmed that my game bottles didn't show up there in the bottle list...

Is there a way that CO Pro 8.0.0 when I installed it forced itself to have priority when launching something for CrossOver even if it was created in a different cross over product?

It is possible that CrossOver took priority for things such as executable files away from CrossOver Games, so it would depend on how you were launching the application. But, if you are launching an application from a CrossOver menu, then the proper version of CrossOver should open it (Steam should be opening with CrossOver Games).

Tony, my guess is you have downloaded a nightly build of CrossOver Games at some point, and it's still on your system somewhere. The nightly builds of CrossOver Games have been labeled with an 8.0 version number (although they should have a date-stamped build number, too).

If this happens again, you can Right-click (or Control-click) on the Dock icon for the mysterious CrossOver Games app and select Show in Finder. That way, you can find out where it's hiding and, if you don't want it, trash it.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoid1FQNjludHI5YUdSMlJkZyIsImdkcHIiOjB9