CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Metal 3 and DirectX12 support

Apple has just revealed Metal 3 on WWDC 2022.
What does it mean for DirectX12 support? Does it remove any show-stopping limitations?

I'm interested in what CW thinks of this event. I hope this beefier metal 3 helps them out!

You need to take this up with MoltenVK to implement Metal3 features.

It probably means a lot. Mesh shaders and other improvements could be the missing key to translate DX12 and Vulkan to Metal 3. Let's wait to se any official announcement, but I'm really excited.

If you go to the MoltenVK Github, and go to discussions, go to this one: "Vulkan features available with Metal 3?". The Maintainer posted a table with what is now supported through Metal 3, and by the looks of it, it's pretty major. I'm excited for Geometric Shaders because in theory it should fix the black textures in UE4 games. I think these new implementations should make Dx12 more possible because before these major components were missing, and now they are available.

Sorry I didn't put the link, not sure if its allowed 😀

No word from CodeWeavers team on this. I'd really like to hear from the CrossOver development team as to whether the Metal 3 changes mean that the huge hurdles to DX12 support are now not as huge.

The accouncement of Crossover 22 included the following:
"CrossOver 22 also offers initial support for DirectX 12 games on Linux. A handful of DirectX 12 games are running well, including Diablo II Resurrected. We also have a few fixes to Office 2016/365 bugs for our Linux and ChromeOS users."

Just FYI, I don't know what that means in terms of DirectX 12 on MacOS.

David Long wrote:

No word from CodeWeavers team on this. I'd really like to hear from the CrossOver development team as to whether the Metal 3 changes mean that the huge hurdles to DX12 support are now not as huge.

As I’ve explained prior MoltenVK needs to implement the needed Vulkan API features, this isn’t on CodeWeavers

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoieU1FVGN0V0VCejM1dE5hRiIsImdkcHIiOjB9