CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

I copied a game from a Windows partition, but can't get it to run

Before I moved, I had installation disks, but can't find them now. For an old game, Civilization II.

I copied the (/MPS) folder with the game information to the crossover partition. I ran the .exe and the Crossover 12.5 installation process said it is complete. But it doesn't run.

When I right click CrossOver, I see an application called MPS, and it has sub-folder CIV2, which has sub folders PEDIA & SOUND, which don't open to any applications. It's not available under supported nor community supported applications in the install procedure. (Civilization III is), so I picked "Other Application".

I get an error window with the heading (Inactive Y:\APPL~FEL\CROS-MYY\MPS\CIV2\civ2.exe)

Error "-8" in module "4" data: 0 0

File open failed: MODULES.DB
Most recent DOS error: 2

What is my next step?

Well, since you have DOS error, I suggest that Crossover might not be your best choice. Crossover is mainly interpreting Windows api, and those are not necessarely the same thing as DOS.

I think you might need more something like dosbox.

I'm not saying Civ2 can't be run with Crossover, but considering the age, and that it is a DOS game, Dosbox seems like the choice I would go with myself. I don't have the game, so I can't be sure, just my two bits.

It appears to be a Windows game.

Actually, from what I know, it is a DOS game in origin. The developpers did some work so that it would run un WinXP and WinME, as the game was still popular when those OS came out. In case you will tell me about win95 and win98, those weren't that far from plain DOS, with a nice GUI. They did extend further capabilities than plain DOS, but not by that much. Depending on the version you have, you might be better of with Dosbox. If you have the more recent version of civ2, yeah go for Crossover, if not go with dosbox.

That being said, there is a whole walkthrough for intalling and running the game in its forum. Did you try that?

There is the fact that the new Crossover is using that "Mac Driver" thing. There's a way to disable that in favor of legacy X, as per the manual, as seen here. Considering the age of the game, you might be better off without the Mac Driver.

Otherwise, I don't have the game anymore, and I'm a Linux geek, so I can't really go far in testing it. Lastly, there's always a support ticket so as to get the answer straight from the staff.

I will look into these. First glance is a bit daunting.

Thanks.

Yeah, DOSbox is as "friendly" as DOS, which really stands for "Dirty Old System"

I can't get past the opening screen to change settings. So I guess I need that other program to run it.

Like I said previously, you can always try a support ticket. Maybe one of the staff has a precise answer for you. Even if the game isn't officially supported, the staff do make an effort when possible.

It looks like a Windows 3.11 game. CrossOver basically supports Win16 applications, but unfortunately this feature receives little testing. As far as I know, there are no officially supported Win16 apps left since we kicked out ancient Microsoft Word versions years ago.

It is possible that you're out of luck here. If you cannot get this game to work in CrossOver, your best bet might be Dosbox or a full VM with Windows 3.11 or Windows 95 installed in it ☹️ .

If DosBox is too daunting try Boxer which is really DOSBox with a nice and Maclike UI. If you are really lucky you might just need to drag and drop the game onto Boxer and it will do the rest. I have several games here where this worked.

Boxer won't run this game, saying it is a Windows game.

Well, there you go...

Some old stuff is just too old. Mind you, I don't think you could run this on win7 or win8 either. So yeah, as previously suggested, some virtual machine with a really old Windows on it is now your best bet at this point.

It is the only thing that I use on a VMware partition.

1 to 13 of 13

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzE0NDIwMjg3LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiTjNnWDZ0c1I5ZjhnYmh6QSIsImdkcHIiOjB9