CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

help

Whenever I try to open a file that crossover was supposed to help with it opens up as crossover instead. So now i can't use usbxtaf. Please help.

The basic idea, is to install software first, so I imagine you are getting the installation interface. In the case of simpler programs without an installer, you can run a windows command, and even create a launcher for your software from that tool.

That being said, you will need a bottle with .Net2.0 in it, which you can find in the runtime support components. You can use any bottle which already has .net2.0. With that it will run.

Further, you should know that your USB drive might not show up. Usually, you can go in the control panel tab of the bottle manager. Once there use winecfg tool and just add a path to your drive's mount point. The problem is, I don't know how Wine/Crossover will react considering your OS will probably NOT mount an unknown partition type. Since I don't have an Xbox of any kind, and no Mac since I'm on Linux, if you can't reach your USB drive, I strongly suggest you open a support ticket.

Short answer: For this specific application, your results are most likely better with a VM that supports USB passthrough, or maybe there's a mac native driver for the xbox file system.

Long answer:

In the bottle's directory at ~/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/<bottle name>/ is a directory called dosdevices. In there you can create two links: x:, which points to the directory that should represent drive x, and x::, that points to the device node in /dev. (X is here just a placeholder letter, you can use any drive letter of course). winecfg creates the first link for you, the second one is usually autodetected if the device is mounted.

You can try not to mount the device, create the first link pointing to a random directory, e.g. /tmp, and create the second link pointing to the USB stick's device node. You'll have to manipulate the access permissions for that device node to give your non-priviledged user read-write access.

YOU HAVE TO BE CERTAIN TO USE THE CORRECT DEVICE NODE! IF YOU PICK THE WRONG ONE, YOUR APPLICATION MAY ACCIDENTALLY DESTROY THE CONTENTS OF YOUR HARD DRIVE!

There's no guarantee that this will work. If the application searches the usb config space for a specific device ID, you're out of luck.

In other words:

1) if this is over your head, or you don't feel comfortable, don't try it.

2) Crossover wasn't designed for such situations.

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzI1OTE2ODI4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVmVZN3AyTWZha3E3WW11YSIsImdkcHIiOjB9