CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Graphic drivers

Hi all,

I have a new Imac 27", with a AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048MB.

I've installed the trial of crossover games and it works fine (I've installed and played Company of Heroes and Tropico 3 via steam).

I have one question: How to improve the graphic quality in game? In the menu of the games, I cannot change options with Antialiasing by exemple, etc... Do I have to install a graphic driver in my bottle? And how?

Thanks by advance.

Dario wrote:

I have a new Imac 27", with a AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048MB.

I've installed the trial of crossover games and it works fine (I've
installed and played Company of Heroes and Tropico 3 via steam).

I have one question: How to improve the graphic quality in game? In
the menu of the games, I cannot change options with Antialiasing by
exemple, etc... Do I have to install a graphic driver in my bottle?
And how?

I have last years 27 inch iMac with the 5750 Radeon card, Antialiasing is broken, both under Snow Leopard and now (still) under Lion. Sadly, no Graphics Driver installed in CXG will have any effect on OSX. Unless, and until, Apple effectively patches their drivers we're SOL. :)

As I have posted in other places and on my website (for CXG and LOTRO):
[link=http://www.mcgillsociety.org/PyLotRO/index.html][/link]

Graphics issues have replaced Modem and Printer problems as the primary source of issues with today's computers and software.

Simply put... there are SO MANY different combinations of Graphics Hardware and related software that the "lowest common denominator" issue is still very real. One thing to remember about Apple - with any Laptop or "All-in-one" (iMac) there is NO GRAPHICS CARD! Apple "buys" chips in bulk from nVidia or ATI and installs them on their own designed motherboard's "graphics section." Apple then "buys" the driver software from the vendor and modifies it to go with OSX.

Consequently, the solution to these problems is simple, but annoying -- LOWER YOUR GRAPHICS SETTINGS!

The impact of various graphics settings differers from hardware configuration to hardware configuration and from OSX release (patch level) to release. The settings which work on one iMac model under OSX 10.7 may or may not work on another iMac also running 10.7, simply because the "hardware rev" levels of the iMacs are different and, in fact, may employ DIFFERENT graphics chip-sets! Apple routinely "revs" hardware WITHOUT changing consumer model information. These changes are typically "invisible" to the end user... EXCEPT that Apple does not consider "gamers" to be end-users ... especially not folks playing games like LOTRO which are written for Windows computers, and are running on the Mac by way of a non-Apple interface - i.e. CXG and WINE. Apple's standard answer to such folks (i.e. "us") is run Bootcamp! (ugh).

..what's wrong with Bootcamp? (I take it 'ugh' is a term for disdain?) I
hadn't used it before until a few weeks ago, and I actually found it to
be a rather well polished/intuitive partition manager all told. If instead
you're referring to the usage of Bootcamp being synonymous with the use
of Windows on Apple's hardware, I have to agree - ugh! - I certainly would
never desecrate -my- iMac by installing Windows on it ... that's heresy! =)

..wrt to AA .. on my mid-2010 11,2 iMac w/ HD5670 video(512mb vram), I've
been checking out the proprietary Ati linux drivers with debian 6 installed
on the rig. I've been looking for the 'cause' of different behaviors between
the linux drivers compared to what Apple's shipping in 10.7.x, and this thread
led me to find it ... the driver AA (and other) settings exposed by the 'Catalyst
Control Center' GUI with the linux drivers..

..by default, the linux drivers install with baseline settings ; when I started
futzing with the variables here, I was able to get the HD5670 to behave pretty
much identically to what it does in MacOS (with CXG and some title..HL2:LC),
enough to suppose the Apple drivers are already pulling on these registers as
they are...ie; these are the settings related to AA/bitmapping etc that override
the application defaults... this is all happening in the GPU/drivers...

... there are benefits to having these driver functions exposed ; it is true that
as a general rule of thumb, decreasing your graphics settings/resolutions in the
game/app itself is going to help ... but ... I've found there's about 20fps of
GPU -performance- to be had by turning post-processing off (at the driver level)
and leaving the game/app settings where they are ...

..just FYI stuff ... and Bootcamp need not be responsible for ughs =)

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiMlozbUc0WWNCVHJxaHY3cCIsImdkcHIiOjB9