CrossOver Support - Community Forums

Important Information These are community forums and not official technical support. If you need official support: Contact Us

CrossOver Mac
Discussion about CrossOver Mac

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Crossover and M1 Macs Question

I see that Crossover is supposed to work properly with one of the new M1 Macs.
My question is whether any application that ran previously on an Intel Mac under Crossover will still run? I use an older program - Lotus Approach - and was thrilled that it ran perfectly under Crossover. But I am considering getting a new M1 iMac and this is one program that I need for various organizations. And since the new M1 Macs don't support Bootcamp as of yet (my other option to run this program), how would I know - preferably before the purchase and setup of the new iMac - if it will still run?
Any advice/guesses?
Thanks

Hi.
Do not do my mistake.
Many my programs were works on older Mac with Intel CPU do NOT works on M1 apple silicone.
Also them not 100% works under Parallels virtual machine, because M1 has ARM CPU and Microsoft do not has Windows OS for ARM, only preview version.
So, if yours programs is too important to U, do not move to the new M1 chip.

Best Wishes.

From all the testing done I can tell you that overall a large majority do run on the M1 via CrossOver but some simply won't function not even on the latest Nightly build.

See if you're able to rent or borrow an M1 system then using trials test if your needed applications function via CrossOver or Parallels Desktop using Windows ARM.

So far Crossover on M1 macbooks is pretty much useless. Yes you can install things but they never function properly or at all. The app compatibility thing on the website is far off to what you can expect as results. The program itself also doesn’t want to install specific games although they are listed as functional on the site,I do not know why. I tried this with a couple of NFS games but they were missing in the app catalog and Crossover simply wouldn’t let me install them at all although the games have a app compatibility rating of excellent on the site so overall Crossover is one of the most pointless programs I have ever personally tried. You should go with the other one that lets you run Windows directly on a virtual machine-that one seems to work pretty well and is worth the money. Crossover at this point feels like a cheap scam.

Hi there,

What applications have you tried to run since you created your account yesterday? Our forums have several active users eager to help, and our support team is also very responsive to tickets if you're not having luck. We are pretty transparent about the fact that not everything will run on CrossOver (especially with M1 right now since they're so new), and sometimes are ratings are outdated, but it's also possible you might find a solution to some of the apps you're trying if you just inquire.

Furthermore, if something really just can't be made to work with CrossOver right now, there's no way we can possibly fix it based off of vague reports just stating nothing works. We are constantly filing bug reports based on input from users in tickets, forum and beta reports, and that's how we know what needs to be fixed.

Best,
Meredith

https://pasteboard.co/Kbt3mRU.jpg

Here I am trying to install Need for Speed Hot Pursuit but since the game isn’t recognised at all by the program,I am trying to bypass this by installing it as Underground.. The installer ofc gets stuck and doesn’t want to continue beyond this point. Underground also doesn’t want to install so so far we have 2 games that cannot be played at all even though we are led to believe by the program makers that it is possible to do so. I also tried on Steam installing Rainbow Six Vegas-doesn’t run and the original Rainbow Six Raven Shield.. None of these games are playable so we have 4 tries and nothing working. The only thing I managed to get working at all was Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 but even at lowest settings it works at like 15 fps so you can’t play it.. So far this program is a blatant scam for M1 users,might work good on Intel chipsets but today I already switched to that Parallels thing or whatever its name was and so far am having a much better time with it..It actually does stuff for the insane price they want for it.

If the developers had just written somewhere before purchasing the program that the new M1 chip doesn’t work at all with the program or barely works with it-then I would have never even considered purchasing this scam but since no one did..

Found it frustrating. Apps listed as 4 and 5 stars do not play on m1 (I.e. Toaw, Witw, WitE2. Yet theyre listed as playable. (Older macs?) felt like software wa a ripoff. Sold as m1 answer. Of twenty games 1 play set all are listed as 4-5 stars. Should have separate M1 app page.

Crossover offers a two-week free trial so you can test all the software you want to run on it before committing to a purchase.

There are far too many iterations of hardware, OS, and Windows applications to expect Codeweavers to test every single combination. Expecting that your favorite game (it's usually a game...) has been tested on your specific Mac model with your specific specs is just not reasonable. Hence the two-week free trial.

There are various combinations of Mac hardware, OS version, Crossover version, and Windows software that work great in one combination and work very badly or not at all in another combination. And there are a large number of different configurations of WINE bottle some of which will allow your favorite Windows application to work great and others of which will not work at all; requiring some experimentation to determine and possibly to solve. Hence the two-week free trial.

Apple SOC Macs (currently the various M1 Macs) use an entirely new chip and unless an application has been specifically rewritten for that chip it relies on the Rosetta2 translation layer to work on those Macs. So in addition to changing all the Windows calls to Mac calls via WINE/Crossover, a Windows application running in Crossover on an M1 Mac is also demanding perfect output from Rosetta2. In many cases, this works! In many others, it does not. Hence the two-week free trial.

Crossover often just works. But at its core it is a GUI for WINE and WINE – even the enhanced, proprietary version of WINE used by Crossover – is performing a huge number of complex and interconnected tasks. The more you learn about it the more likely you'll achieve success with the different Windows applications you try to run on a Mac using Crossover. Crossover is a great tool but it is not for everyone. A Windows box is often the best solution for people who want to play Windows games and consider that the core purpose of their computer.

I guess it depends on what you need to run. I tested Crossover on our new M1 Mac Mini. All we needed it for is the current "heavy" version of Quicken (Home, Business, Property) which isn't nearly as good in the Mac version. That runs fine even though we have a ton of data. I think we found just one thing that doesn't quite work (an analysis of properties), but that's not critical so we're pretty happy.

Cindy Harris
Pittsburgh, PA

Yes. If you want to run games on this program and the new m1 chip then this program is a blatant scam. People should make more videos calling out this as the scam it is cause it is a pure scam.

Calling it a scam is just false. If I were a moderator here I would delete your message and ban your account from future posting. If I were an owner of Codeweavers or company counsel, I'd be contemplating a libel suit.

I can tell you that many Windows applications including many Windows games including very complex network- and graphically-demanding games work just fine under Crossover on Apple SOC Macs. (I play Lord of the Rings Online using Crossover in addition to one other, much older game and several current business applications.) I can also tell you that many do not. Hence the two-week free trial.

You seem upset. Your narcissism is preventing you from being upset with your own bad decision so you are lashing out at Codeweavers. Don't punch up or spit into the wind, bucko.

Still should have a separate app list for m1. The current one is misleading

Hi folks,

We encourage everyone to use the free two-week trial that John mentions. He did a fantastic job explaining why it's a good idea to test on your machine before you buy, and our download page also includes a disclaimer that not every application will work on CrossOver: https://www.codeweavers.com/crossover/download

We have gotten feedback that the ratings listed on our website can be misleading if they are old. We do list the CrossOver version that was tested for each rating, and we recently made a change so that a notice will appear if the latest rating for an application is for several versions back.

I am always open to feedback, but I am still not understanding claims that CrossOver is a scam, especially considering our free trial period. If anyone has specific examples of anything else on our website that they feel was disingenuous, I'm happy to hear it.

Best,
Meredith

Meredith Johnson wrote:

I am always open to feedback, but I am still not understanding
claims that CrossOver is a scam, especially considering our free
trial period. If anyone has specific examples of anything else on
our website that they feel was disingenuous, I'm happy to hear it.

My best guess is as the applications/games that wanted to run via CrossOver didn’t work so they now consider it a scam, they obviously didn’t use the 14 day free trial before making a purchase….

Did use the 14 day trial. But that was long ago - different mac. Used list - just have separate listing for M1. I didnt say it was a scam but when you list it as play games on M1 with new version - then your list has 4 stars. It’s very misleading

One last thing - its not the crossover version - its using it on M1 - for example I’ve had multiple people tell me that WitW works with newest version - its 4 stars on your site. - however it wont work with the latest version on a M1

So you confirm you didn’t use the 14 day free trail on the M1 system, I’m guessing you couldn’t use it due to transferring from your old Mac to the new one?

In your own post you say you’d gotten the game running but multiplayer didn’t work for you https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/crossover/forum/gary-grigsbys-war-in-the-west?msg=238392#c1

The tittle is indeed listed as 4 starts for 20.0.2 from a single user.

4 Stars - Runs Well
This application installs and runs quite well, with only minor
glitches found.
The core functionality of this Windows application works fine under
CrossOver. There still may be some extra functions that don't work
right, but overall this application should be mostly usable. We
don't maintain a list of what specific functions work/don't work
per-application in our compatibility database, but you may want to
check this application's Forums tab and see if other users have
reported and particular details about running this Windows
application in CrossOver.

So going off what you’ve said the missing functionally is Multiplayer isn’t functional is that correct?

Never said i got game running. It freezes on first turn. Same with WitE2. Toaw does work at all. Same with others. I can read what 4 stars mean

Wow. I started this thread and have not come back for a while and did not expect it to get so "testy".
Anyway, I have used Crossover for quite a few years to run an old IBM program called Approach and it ran perfectly. I have it installed on my new M1 iMac and while the install went perfectly, and the program basically runs, there is one glitch. When I try to switch the "view" - that is how you change from a basic database view to let's say printing a letter/bill using information from the database - it will generally just quit. I have another iMac (an older Intel iMac) and it still runs perfectly on that. (However I have to print via Wifi and run up and down the stairs to see what was produced. LOL)
That was why I started this thread - to hear about people's experiences on new M1 Macs.

1 to 19 of 19

Please Note: This Forum is for non-application specific questions relating to installation/configuration of CrossOver. All application-specific posts to this Forum will be moved to their appropriate Compatibility Center Forum.

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzE1MTc3Njg1LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiVUJhUHQzaHF3WDRDZmZVRyIsImdkcHIiOjB9