Amazon Kindle for PC Forum

This is a community forum and not official technical support. — If you need official support: Contact Us

The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Back to Threads Reply to Thread

Kindle 1.16.0 on Crossover for MAC

Hi - I have a need to use Kindle 1.16.0 specifically. When I try to use Crossover for MAC 18.1.0.31718 and use the Kindle executable as the install file, and a Windows 7 bottle, and it says "cxbottle:error: unable to create the 'K2' bottle in '/Users/ds/Library/Application Support/CrossOver/Bottles/K2'" . If I say skip step, it then says "bottle already exists" then cxassoc:error: an error occurred while scanning the Windows associations.

any ideas?

Which version of macOS are you running?

My first thought is - are you running any antivirus software? There is currently an issue where several antivirus programs will incorrectly flag CrossOver files and immediately delete them, and I have seen this cause the error you described. There is a tutorial to get a working CrossOver installation with antivirus software installed here: https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/bitdefender

Another thing to try is to make sure that you have permissions set correctly. Catalina added extra security measures, and you can go into the settings to make sure that CrossOver has access to files and folders. You will probably also need to change the permissions for individual applications you install through CrossOver, but Catalina is supposed to prompt you. https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/mac/mactutorial/security

Thanks,
Anna

I followed the codeweavers instructions and totally removed it first. Then I rebooted. ALlowed access to files and folders. totally turned off my anti-virus (Kaspersy) then tried to reinstall it and got the same exact errors :(

I reread your first post, and I apologize for making you run in circles a bit. You reported using CrossOver 18.1 - this version of CrossOver is not compatible with Catalina (macOS 10.15). If you are not already aware, macOS 10.15 dropped support for 32-bit applications (see this post for a more detailed explanation, and other blog posts for further details if you are interested).

Long story short, before CrossOver 19, we relied on 32-bit libraries for a variety of things within CrossOver, so even if your application was 64-bit, CrossOver would still fail on macOS 10.15.

Amazon Kindle for PC is not very highly rated on Mac currently, so if this is the only application you need, I would encourage you to try the 14 day free trial of CrossOver 19 first to see if it will work for you.

Thanks,
Anna

CrossOver Forums: the place to discuss running Windows applications on Mac and Linux

CodeWeavers or its third-party tools process personal data (e.g. browsing data or IP addresses) and use cookies or other identifiers, which are necessary for its functioning and required to achieve the purposes illustrated in our Privacy Policy. You accept the use of cookies or other identifiers by clicking the Acknowledge button.
Please Wait...
eyJjb3VudHJ5IjoiVVMiLCJsYW5nIjoiZW4iLCJjYXJ0IjowLCJ0enMiOi01LCJjZG4iOiJodHRwczpcL1wvbWVkaWEuY29kZXdlYXZlcnMuY29tXC9wdWJcL2Nyb3Nzb3Zlclwvd2Vic2l0ZSIsImNkbnRzIjoxNzA4NjEzODE4LCJjc3JmX3Rva2VuIjoiUldZOEJxZ01ZUHA1R1VXZCIsImdkcHIiOjB9